Welcome to

               Potomac Falls

                                          Potomac, Maryland, USA

Focus: Resident Realtor

Graciela Haim has specialized in the real estate market in Washington D.C. and Maryland area for over two decades. She has licenses in all DC, MD and Va. She has lived in Washington D.C. since 1958, when her father was stationed here at the Embassy of Uruguay.She is bilingual, speaking English,Spanish, and has working knowledge of French and Portugese. Graciela and her family have been living in Potomac Falls since 1990.

You may reach Graciela at 301-807-8845, or send her an email to consult on any of your real estate needs.

Potomac Falls is a development of W.C. & A.N. Miller, a building company of renown in Maryland. The development offers a discreet retreat from the more densly populated suburbs of Washington, D.C, owing to its regal lot spacing and its nestled border to the C&O National Park, which has the famed scenic waterfalls of the Potomac River. The community benefits from a helpful and accomodating homeowners association, which manages community services such as July 4th parades and a security service. One of the communities' most coveted virtues is its close proximity to the city, while maintaining a serene, noiseless, spacious ambiance, dotted with artificial "lakes" that are found at the edge of some backyards- not easily found being close to the district. Some homeowners sport canoes, others walk to the lakes to fish. Perhaps this is one of the reasons it is a very favorite family community.

A Little on the Past of Potomac Falls

The oldest house in our community is the Samuel Ford House, circa 1887. It has only changed hands four or five times over the past 115 years! It is believed that the house served as the assayer's office and the house for the gold mines in this area.

During the Civil War a Union soldier camping at a local farm discovered gold. This caused a flurry of land speculation and shortly before the turn of the century, the Great Falls area was inundated with miners.

In 1887, the year that the Samuel House was built, three new gold mines destined to become the Sawyer, Eagle and Irma mines, were found around Rock Run. In 1889 a new gold fever hit the area and the Ford Mine was opened at the northern part of Great Falls. It would seem logical that the gold mine would be assayed at the Samuel Ford house. The mine finally closed in 1939.

W.C. & A.N. Miller first bought the 800 acres in the mid-1950's. When Miller bought the property the land was rural farmland. "The land in Potomac was $2,000 an acre then," said Ted Miller, chairman of the Miller Companies. "Of course, the same land was only $40 an acre before WWII and after the war it was $500.

In the 1960's Miller built the first three "spec" houses on the corner of Alloway and Belmart and they sold right away for just under $150,000!

Most of the original beautiful oak and maple trees that can be seen were planted in the early 1960's.

Within Potomac Falls we still have the St. Gabriel cemetery, which initially served the parish of St. Gabriel's Catholic Church. "The parish church was built in 1890 by one skilled carpenter and a group of volunteer workers," according to a "Brief History of Our Lady of Mercy Parish," by the Montgomery County Historical Society. The Church was inaugurated by a Mass on Christmas Day in 1890. The church was built on an acre of ground given by William S. Harrison, a trustee of Potomac Methodist Church for the fee of $5.00 to the Archdiocese of Baltimore. The St. Gabriel Church burned down in the 1930's but the graveyard is still maintained by Our Lady of Mercy Catholic Church. Its oldest gravestone is dated 1856-1894 and marks the grave of Olevia Johnson. The graveyard is still in use today.

All of this information is deemed accurate but not guaranteed.